Gas explosion columbia maryland. Columbia gas explosion: leak suspected in detonation that destroyed shopping center in Maryland

Columbia gas explosion: leak suspected in detonation that destroyed shopping center in Maryland

gas explosion columbia maryland

Some neighbors who live as many as five miles away said that they heard a loud boom about 8 a. There was also no record of any reports of gas odors at the building in the past year. A large portion of the L-shaped building in Columbia is occupied by a Social Security field office. Thankfully, no injuries have been reported so far. Twenty-two businesses were impacted by the gas explosion around 8 a. Among the business owners impacted is Rohit Chawla.

Next

Gas explosion levels Maryland shopping mall

gas explosion columbia maryland

Witness told roof flew 30 ft into the air when explosion happened. Larry Hogan R thanked first responders and offered the assistance of the Maryland Joint Operations Center and the state fire marshal in the investigation. The normally-bustling building was a place where people got together for coffee, a fitness class or to take care of official business at a Social Security office. Photo from after gas explosion. Riverside Coffee shop was clearly destroyed among other businesses.

Next

‘The building is probably totaled’: Columbia natural gas explosion destroys part of shopping center

gas explosion columbia maryland

Officials provided escorts, hard hats and safety glasses, and those entering the building had wear long sleeves, pants and close-toed shoes. Officials said 22 businesses were affected by the explosion. Koos said they reviewed calls for gas odor calls for the site, but there were no recent calls and none in the last year at this site. A massive gas explosion ripped through a Maryland office building and shopping center Sunday morning and could be heard miles away. Those employers will be escorted into the building. Due to the power outages, firefighters were called to rescue several people from an elevator in a nearby business. August 26, 2019 A Baltimore Gas and Electric official said Monday that the utility company had not yet determined the cause of the natural gas leak suspected of triggering the explosion and fire that destroyed a shopping center in Columbia , Md.

Next

BGE Finds No Issues With Gas Equipment After Explosion Destroys Part Of Columbia Shopping Center

gas explosion columbia maryland

Christine Battle frequents the shopping center and says the business owners and their workers are devastated by the news. He said no issues with the gas mains in the area were found during an annual inspection in July. A fire department photo from the scene showed a building partially collapsed and a fire outside the structure. Sunday in the 8800 block of Stanford Boulevard in Columbia, Maryland. Firefighters investigating the smell about 7 a. Estimated restoration time was noon.

Next

BGE Finds No Issues With Gas Equipment After Explosion Destroys Part Of Columbia Shopping Center

gas explosion columbia maryland

Officials said the explosion happened at 8 a. Sunday morning at a shopping center in the 8800 block of Stanford Boulevard in the Columbia area. Howard County businesses and employees affected by the explosion should call 410-313-6517 to schedule an escort into the building for belongings. Fire officials say due to the extent of structure damage, the building is most likely a total loss. They also tested gas levels and it was normal. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Next

Columbia explosion aftermath: Destruction of some businesses leaves owners devastated

gas explosion columbia maryland

Fire crews responded about an hour before the explosion because of a fire alarm that was upgraded to a report of a gas leak in the parking lot, officials said. On Monday, Howard County officials are trying to help employers find temporary spaces for their businesses so that their employees can continue to work as the investigation continues. A Social Security Administration employee trying to catch up on some work on the weekend reported smelling natural gas about two hours earlier, according to the owner of the building, which also has some offices. Widespread power outages were reported in nearby areas, affecting local business, according to Howard County fire. When firefighters arrived, they noticed a gas leak from underground, where the gas line connects to the building — and the parking lot pavement swelling from the pressure buildup. When fire personnel arrived, they immediately evacuated everyone from the surrounding area and made sure the building was vacant. Neighbors said on social media that they felt their houses shake.

Next